Solved!

Go to Solution

July 15th, 2013 15:00

Webcam NOT working with Skype

Dell XPS L501x

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

FREE Avast Home Edition

Dell Webcam will not work for Skype.

Dell Webcam 2.01.18 shows the image with no problems.

Test Webcam shows the image.

Webcam (Video Capture) Diagnostics link gives me an error, so does Dell PC Diagnostics or http://www.dell.com/support/Diagnostics/us/en/19

I have uninstalled Skype, restarted the computer. Ran CCleaner and clicked on registry, scan for issues, fix selected issues, rerstarted and reinstalled Skype from various websites.

If I click on tools, options, video settings, the webcam does not work, it just sits there with a circle.

I have Fast Access installed and use it to log in and have no issues. It has nothing to do with Fast Access.

Open for suggestions.

Rick

807 Posts

Could try an old version of Skype www.oldapps.com/skype.php

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Paul,

Thank you for your suggestion. That worked nicely. I downloaded Skype 6.3.0.105 and it's now working.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 15th, 2013 16:00

Paul,

I have helped with the webcam article, providing some information. The problem was I had was video was working with every other applications, just not skype.

I was trying the webcam on a Windows 8.1 system and it crashed when calls were made/received. Typing was ok, just no calls or it would crash. Still trying to figure that out.

Rick

Here is the information I have for Dell's Webcams...

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

(Windows 8)How to make the webcam work with help from this youtube. You have to open the Camera app first, and then click Settings on the charm bar to see where you can give the app permission to use the webcam.

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central.

Create a new unrestricted user account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If yes, log out and log back in to your account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

807 Posts

July 15th, 2013 16:00

Glad it worked Rick, I've no idea why the latest version of Skype doesn't work with Dell webcam...it's a well documented issue.

No Events found!