Privacy Statement Regarding Customer and Online User Information
This Privacy Statement governs Personal Information we collect from our customers and online users ("you"), as well as information we automatically collect from your online visits (e.g. data collected via cookies). Please refer to your warranty statements and Dell's Return Policy for policies that apply to information contained on hard drives returned to Dell.
For the purposes of this Privacy Statement, "Business Partner" means any subcontractor, vendor or other entity with whom we have an ongoing business relationship to provide products, services or information. "Personal Information" means information that identifies you, such as your name, telephone number and email address.
- Information We Collect
- How We Use Personal Information
- Disclosing Personal Information
- How You Can Access Your Information
- Selecting Your Communication Preferences and Opting Out of Marketing
- How We Secure Your Personal Information
- Collection and Use of Children's Personal Information
- Links to Third-Party Websites and Services
- Changes to Our Privacy Statement Regarding Customer and Online User Information
- Contacting Us
- Country Specific Privacy
- Use our websites;
- Request quotes, services, support, downloads, trials, whitepapers or information;
- Place orders for products or services or register for events or webinars;
- Apply for a credit card, leasing or other financing products and services;
- Participate in surveys, sweepstakes or other promotional activities online or in any other venue;
- Subscribe to newsletters, Dell programs, promotional emails or other materials;
- Apply for a job, submit your resume/CV or create a candidate profile; or
- Contact us.
Job applicants may be asked to provide information such as educational background, employment experience and job interest, and such information may be recorded and processed in different countries. We may also collect demographic information, such as your business or company information, age, gender, interests, and preferences. Forms that you choose to complete will indicate whether information requested is mandatory or voluntary.
We may collect information about your visits to our websites, including the pages you view, the links and advertisements you click, search terms you enter, and other actions you take in connection with Dell websites and services. We may also collect certain information from the browser you use to visit our websites, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type and language, access times, the Uniform Resource Locator (URL) of the website that referred you to our websites and any URLs you select on our websites.
In order to offer you a more consistent and personalized experience in your interactions with Dell, information collected through one source may be combined with information Dell obtains through other sources. We may also supplement the information we collect with information obtained from other parties, including our Business Partners and other third parties.
Some Dell services may be co-branded and offered in conjunction with another company. If you register for or use such services, both Dell and the other company may receive information collected in conjunction with the co-branded services, and may use the information according to each company's privacy statement and other agreements with you.
- Deliver the services and support or carry out the transactions you have requested;
- Send communications to you, such as product safety information, your transaction status including order confirmations, information about particular Dell programs in which you have chosen to participate, information about products and services available from Dell and its Canadian Affiliates, promotional offers and surveys;
- Facilitate communications from Dell Business Partners;
- Customize, analyze and improve our products, services (including the content and advertisements on our website), technologies, communications and relationship with you;
- Enforce our conditions of sale, website terms and/or separate contracts (if applicable) with you;
- Identify patterns of behaviour to offer relevant suggestions to users. For example, based on data collected through cookies on our website, we may be able to determine that users who viewed certain products may also like other specific products. These cookies are not tied to personal identifiers;
- Meet our legal and regulatory requirements;
- Detect, suppress or prevent fraud and other prohibited or illegal activities;
- Protect the security or integrity of our website(s), our business(es), or our products or services; or
- Otherwise, as disclosed to you at the point of collection.
Personal Information collected may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Dell or Dell Inc. or its subsidiaries or Business Partners maintain facilities.
We may disclose your Personal Information to credit bureaus and credit reporting agencies and financial institutions and to other third parties as necessary to obtain and maintain your credit history, provide credit references, process payments, and otherwise manage our accounts and fulfill our legal and regulatory requirements. In addition, Dell may share your Personal Information with participants in our sales and marketing chain, including but not limited to retailers, resellers, distributors, integrators, order fulfillers and some sales agents ("Channel Partners"), for the limited purposes of selling, marketing or providing support for Dell products and services.
We may also disclose your Personal Information in connection with law enforcement, fraud detection, suppression or prevention or other legal action; as required by law or regulation; if Dell (or a part of Dell) is sold or merges with another company; or if Dell reasonably believes it is necessary to protect Dell, its customers, online users or the public.
Except as described above, we will not disclose your Personal Information to third parties for their own marketing purposes without your consent.
We may transfer your Personal Information to Business Partners that help Dell carry out transactions you request, that help Dell promote and market additional goods, services and special offers from us and/or our Canadian Affiliates, or that help Dell to customize, analyze, and/or improve our communication or relationship with you, and then only with Service Providers who share Dell's commitment to protecting your Personal Information. For example, Dell may use Business Partners to deliver email to Dell customers, may work with Service Providers to customize ads based on pages users visit on Dell.com (including Dell.ca), or may allow Business Partners to collect aggregate information to identify trends and analyze which pages are visited most often by visitors to Dell.com. Dell may disclose Personal Information to Business Partners to complete transactions or market on Dell's behalf, but those Business Partners are prohibited from using your Personal Information for their own purposes.
Some Business Partners are located outside of Canada, including in the United States. Likewise, some Dell facilities may also be located outside of Canada. As a result, your Personal Information may be collected, processed and stored in another jurisdiction. Reasonable contractual and other measures we may take to protect your Personal Information while processed or handled by these Business Partners are subject to legal requirements applicable to our Business Partners; for example, lawful requirements to disclose Personal Information to government authorities in certain circumstances.
- The My Account and Premier Account sections on Dell.com allow you to choose whether you wish to receive marketing communications from Dell, and to subscribe or unsubscribe to newsletters about our products and services;
- At any point you may also visit our List Removal Page and submit a request to be removed from our advertising and marketing lists (catalogs, telephone, faxes and email);
- When you save a cart while shopping online, you may choose to receive email reminders; and
- Any marketing by Dell, or any third parties on behalf of Dell, will be conducted in accordance with applicable laws and include, where applicable, methods to allow you to express your preferences.
Please allow up to 10 business days for your email preferences to take effect. Because some promotions, such as direct mail catalogs, are developed in advance, you may sometimes receive solicitations after we receive your preference request.
- Using encryption when collecting or transferring sensitive information, such as credit card details;
- Limiting physical access to our premises;
- Limiting access to the information we collect about you; and
- Ensuring that we and our Business Partners have appropriate security safeguards to keep personal information secure.
Dell takes children's privacy seriously. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children through our websites. If you are under the age of majority in the province in which you reside, please do not submit any personal information through our websites without the express consent and participation of a parent or guardian.
A cookie is a piece of text that is placed on your computer's hard drive. Depending on the settings you have selected, your browser adds the text to your device as a small file. Many browsers are set to accept cookies by default. You have the ability to accept or decline cookies as you prefer. The Help portion of your web browser, most likely found on the toolbar, typically tells you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether.
Cookies allow you to take advantage of some of Dell's essential features, including allowing you to save a Shopping Cart and remembering items in your Shopping Cart between visits. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to sign in or use other interactive features of Dell websites and services that depend on cookies.
Targeted Display Advertising by Dell and Others
For example, Dell may collect data on which pages you visit on the website and later combine this information on purchases you complete on Dell.ca. We and our Business Partners may use the combined data to determine which ads to serve you on Dell.ca or third party websites or to determine what marketing communications to send you in the future.
Learn more about targeted advertising and how to opt out.
“Do Not Track” Signals
Targeted Email Marketing by Dell
Some marketing you receive, including email marketing, may also be personalized based on your visits to Dell.ca and your browsing and purchase history. In addition, when you click on some links in email marketing you receive, our email service provider may place a cookie on your browser. This type of cookie would be linked to your email address or IP address and used to gather information about the products and services you view and purchase on Dell.ca. Information gathered may be used to personalize and customize future email marketing messages you receive. You may opt out of this use by clicking on the unsubscribe link provided in every personalized email marketing message you receive.
How We and Our Partners Use Web Beacons, Pixel Tags and Tracking Technology
Dell or its Business Partners may use web beacons on our websites, in our email messages, in our advertisements on other websites, or in our advertisements in others' email messages. Similarly, third parties whose content or advertisements appear at Dell.ca, or whose email messages Dell.ca sends to our users, may also place web beacons in their advertisements or email messages for purposes of measuring the effectiveness of the content, advertisements or email messages.
A web beacon is an electronic image that can be used to recognize a cookie on your computer when you view a web page or email message. Web beacons help us measure the effectiveness of our website and our advertising in various ways. For example, web beacons may count the number of individuals who visit our website from a particular advertisement or who make a purchase from our website after viewing a particular advertisement or they may tell us when a web page is viewed and provide a description of the page where the web beacon is placed. Web beacons may also measure the effectiveness of our email campaigns, by counting the number of individuals who open or act upon an email message, determining when an email message is opened and determining how many times an email message is forwarded. We may combine the information that we collect through web beacons with other Personal Information we have collected from you.
We may allow some of our Business Partners to compile individual or aggregated statistics from the use of web beacons on Dell.com by Dell, its agents or others, to determine the effectiveness of online marketing and to develop statistics on how often clicking on an advertisement results in a purchase or other action on the advertiser's site. Aggregate information may include demographic and usage information. No Personal Information about you is shared with Business Partners for this research.
When you visit our websites or view one of our email messages, we may use pixel tags (also called "clear" gifs), tracking links and/or similar technology to note some of the pages you visit on our websites. We may also use pixel tags to determine what types of email your browser supports. We may use the information collected through web beacons, pixel tags, tracking links and similar technology in combination with your Personal Information to personalize your experience on Dell.com and to provide you with more useful and relevant advertisements.
Social Media Features
Please be aware that Dell provides links to other websites, which if you click on them may collect Personal Information about you. The information practices of those third-party websites linked to Dell.ca and Dell.com are not covered by this Privacy Statement.
We will occasionally update this Privacy Statement. If we make changes to this Privacy Statement or make any material changes to how we use your Personal Information, we will revise this Privacy Statement to reflect such changes and revise the statement's effective date, included at the end of this Privacy Statement. We encourage you to periodically review this statement to be informed of how we are protecting your Personal Information.
Dell Canada Privacy Department
You may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Effective Date: January 19, 2016.